Hold your monsters! Version 3.5 of Teach Your Monster to Read has now been released on all app stores and we've got some lovely little improvements in here, along with some 'quality of life' updates.
Words are now easier to hear
We know that there can be a whole load of background noise in the home or classroom whilst playing, so we've made the words louder and clearer. This follows on from release 3.4 when we made the phonemes easier to hear - which was very well received by parents, teachers and most importantly, children. We believe this is one of the most useful improvements we could make to the app at this time. We're really excited about how much this simple change can help children learn to read whilst playing the game.
Collectable stars can now be transferred between games
Previously a player couldn't carry their stars from the second game 'Fun with words' to the third game 'Champion Reader'. But now, any player who conscientiously saves their stars, can rightly carry them into 'Champion Reader'. So whether you save them up or spend them in the shop, your stars are always yours to use as you please.
The game is now full screen on iPhone X
The game now looks better on iPhone X and makes use of every pixel.
Help messages have been made clearer
and, well... a bit more helpful. Enough said, really.
We love to read your success stories and we want to know what you’d like added to the game, so please leave a review. As a charity with a mission to improve children's literacy, we want to make this game as great as it can possibly be.
We dedicate version 3.5 to everyone who has left us a review over the past year asking for the audio to be easier to hear. We've been listening (excuse the pun) and ramped up the quality and volume of the words and phonemes so your little ones can hear them better.
Do you like this release? Want to see more? Let us know.
Download on iOS
Download on Google Play
How to use the game in the classroom
How to get kids playing at home
Teach Your Monster to Read, has now been played 100 million times across the world!
The award-winning educational game helps children learn to read by taking them on a magical journey, meeting colourful characters along the way and collecting fantastic rewards. As children teach their own monster to read, they rehearse a range of essential reading skills; matching letters to sounds, blending, segmenting, tricky words and reading full sentences.
Played millions of times by millions of children
- The first game is called 'Teach Your Monster to Read: First Steps' and it was launched 2013.
- There are now 3 games, which are available in one app on smartphone and tablet, as well as free on the web.
- The games have been played in almost every country in the world.
- Over 11 million children have now played the games.
- The games are played by around 1 to 2 million children every month.
Funded by the Usborne Foundation
The BAFTA-nominated game is funded by the Usborne Foundation, a charity set up by Peter Usborne and his children, Nicola and Martin, to support initiatives to develop early literacy. Teach Your Monster to Read also generates funds via app sales, which help to keep the game running as well as fund the foundation's new initiatives.
Find out more about the team behind the game
Our Bafta-nominated game is FREE on all app stores from Monday 4th March 2019 to Sunday 10th March 2019.
Helped over 10 million children learn to read
Teach Your monster to Read is the immensely popular game that makes learning to read fun. It has now been played almost 100 million times worldwide and helped over 10 million children learn to read.
The game was developed by The Usborne Foundation, a charity founded by children’s publisher, Peter Usborne MBE, with a mission to help children around the world learn to read.
We believe that every child should be given the opportunity to learn and develop. Giving our phonics and reading app away for free enables teachers and pupils to benefit from using the game in classrooms and at home.
Complements phonics programmes used in schools
The game covers everything from letters and sounds to reading full sentences. There are three levels which between them cover the first two years of the reading journey. Developed in conjunction with leading academics from the University of Roehampton, it is educationally robust and complements all synthetic phonics programmes used in schools.
Widely praised by teachers and parents across the globe
- The kids absolutely love this game - and they’re learning!
- I am using the app with my reception class. The children are loving it! They are all really keen to progress and can be heard talking to their monsters as they are working with each phoneme.
- Far and away the best reading tool we have found for our kids.
- I was stunned to see how much they enjoyed playing this. It blew me away.
- It’s phonics based approach is pedagogically sound and up to date with the latest thinking on the topic. All education software should be this well thought through.
The game will be free to download between Monday 4th March 2019 to Sunday 10th March 2019. Once downloaded, it will remain completely free to play on your device after this period.
Download on iTunes
Download on Google Play Store
Download on Amazon
Help our charity by spreading the word!
Example tweet / Facebook post: Get the BAFTA-nominated literacy app, Teach Your Monster to Read, for FREE this week only. Hurry, ends Sunday 10th March! apple.co/2f0Dgi1, amzn.to/2bXrdUe and tinyurl.com/GoogleTeachMonster #monsterscanread #phonics @monsterscanread
For press enquiries, please contact: [email protected]
The Teach Monster team has been tremendously busy working on the latest update to the game. We're so pleased to bring you version 3.3 of Teach Your Monster to Read, which is packed full of fun additions and 'quality of life' changes for your children to enjoy. Let's check out what's new!
- You can now dress your monster up as a princess, a superhero, a unicorn or a dinosaur! These new costumes are hidden throughout the 3 games. A special prize goes to the first monster to collect them all! Let us know if you manage to hunt them all down :)
- There are snazzy new certificates for every game your monster completes. This much-loved feature of the web version of the game has now been brought to the app. Tap on the trophy icon on the login screen to view your achievements.
- You can now play practice mode with logged in monsters. We’ve also improved the interface to make it easier to jump into the game.
- The popular running mini-game (you know... the one with the flowers) has been updated so it’s smoother to play.
- There are more exciting prizes in the first game and the stars you collect are now carried across all three games.
- Many small bugs have been fixed, including a multi-logout error, a keyboard bug when entering star codes and a proxy-related issue. We’ve also improved our error reporting in case of future ‘monsters in the system’.
All of this is thanks to your wonderful feedback and reviews. We read and respond to everything we can, so please keep them coming.
Very occasionally, the Teach Your Monster to Read app is completely free to download for a short period of time. Once you've downloaded the app, there's nothing to pay after the free period ends.
If you don't want to miss out when our app goes free on all app stores, simply join our mailing list today and you'll be the first to know when the app is next free.