Help: Computer and laptop version
The game isn't starting on my PC or laptop
If the game isn't loading on your PC or laptop, this could be caused by a recent Google update which was released for it's Chrome web browser, which blocks Flash content. Here's a workaround which should solve this problem:
1. Launch Google Chrome as you would normally, navigate to Teach Your Monster To Read and attempt to open the game. You will see the blank screen where the game usually is, and possibly a message like: "The web browser you are using isn't supported. Try in a different web browser or enable Flash"
2. After you receive the error message, click on 'Secure' (it's usually in the upper right hand corner of the navigation bar).
3. From here, find 'Flash' in the dropdown menu and set 'Flash' to 'Allow'. You might have to click on a setting cog named 'Site settings' first, and then locate Flash in the list of settings.
4. You can then navigate back to the teachyourmonstertoread.com web page.
5. There should be a bar across the top of the web page, saying 'To apply your updated settings, reload this page'. Tap the 'reload' button.
6. The game should now load correctly.
PS - We will be moving most of our main games and content to HTML5 shortly, so this issue shouldn't prevail.
If the game still isn't loading on your PC or laptop, this is likely to be caused by one of the following:
1. Your web browser isn't supporting HTML5.
Our game does not support IE 11 (Internet Explorer 11).
2. You don't have Flash installed OR Flash is installed, but your web browser is blocking it.
If the above doesn't work, ensure Flash is installed. If it's not, then install Flash.
3. You're trying to play the web version of our game on a phone or tablet.
I forgot my password!
I can't see the tick button on the ‘make your monster’ screen
This sometimes happens if the browser doesn't have enough space to show the game. Try ‘zooming out’ on your browser, or hiding some of the toolbars at the top of your browser window.
I can only see a blank screen
The most likely problem is that your school network is not allowing access to the game file. Find out more about the blank screen problem.
What does the game cover?
A detailed description of the educational content for the Teach Your Monster to Read game can be found here: What does the game cover?
Can I choose which letter-sounds to rehearse?
What's more, at the end of Level 2 and 3, once the player has completed the level, they can then go back and replay specific parts of this level. This section is called the 'Word Universe'.
I can't play the game
Please contact us giving as detailed a description as possible of what the problem is. Screenshots and videos help! We'll be back in touch as soon as possible to see if we can help.
I was stunned to see how much they enjoyed this. It blew me away.
- • Covers letters and sounds to reading full sentences.
- • Designed in collaboration with leading academics.
Why is the computer version free?
The game has been funded by the Usborne Foundation, a charity set up to support initiatives to develop early literacy.
Our mission is to help as many children learn to read as possible. The computer version is 100% free and we put profits from the app back into the Usborne Foundation, to continue to create new and exciting ways for children to learn.
The charity was founded by Peter Usborne MBE and his children, Nicola and Martin, one of the world’s leading children’s book publishing companies and Children’s Publisher of the Year 2012. He was previously one of the founders of the magazine Private Eye.
What age is it for?
The game is for children in the first stages of learning to read, or for older children who need a bit more practice. Read more details about the three games.
How do children learn from the game?
The game takes children on a magical journey, meeting colourful characters along the way and collecting fantastic rewards. When children are engaged, they’re motivated to learn.
As they progress, they rehearse a range of essential reading skills; matching letters to sounds, blending, segmenting, tricky words and reading full sentences.
Find out exactly what the game covers.
Will it work on my device?
The game runs on any normal laptop or desktop computer (including Apple Macs) and the app works on iPhone, iPad, Android and Kindle tablets.
Who are The Usborne Foundation?
Peter Usborne is the founder and Managing Director of Usborne Publishing, one of the world’s leading children’s book publishing companies and Children’s Publisher of the Year 2012. He was previously one of the founders of the magazine Private Eye, and was recently awarded an MBE for services to publishing.
"I was stunned to see how much they enjoyed this. It blew me away."
"The kids absolutely love this game - and they're learning!"
"This is a fun and engaging way to help your child learn to read. My son warmed to the game quickly and didn't want to stop playing it!"
This is a fun and engaging way to help your child learn to read. My son warmed to the game quickly and didn't want to stop playing it!